Not to be confused with Coast Roast Mocha Java organic coffee beans. Made popular by coffee shops, the Cafe Mocha adds chocolate to your favorite coffee.
In this recipe, you can use either our popular Coast Roast Espresso or our Mocha Java. The espresso is a darker roast and offers a more intense coffee flavor.
You can also choose between steamed or heated milk. Both are easy to make at home.
Enhance your morning java with this three-ingredient homemade Cafe Mocha.
|PREP TIME||COOK TIME||SERVES|
|5 minutes||0 minutes||1|
- 8 oz organic Coast Roast Espresso (or favorite brewed coffee)
- 2 TBSP cocoa or hot chocolate (alternatively use real chocolate shavings)
- 1/4 cup milk or half & half (any variety you like)
- Brew a serving of your favorite Coast Roast organic coffee variety.
- While coffee brews, add milk and chocolate to microwave safe cup.
- Microwave milk mixture in 30 second intervals and stir, continue until hot, creamy and fully combined. (you can also use a double boiler to heat if melting real chocolate)
- Pour coffee into your favorite mug and add your freshly heated milk/chocolate mixture.
At coffee shops, they often used steamed milk to make their Cafe Mochas. If you want to create yours with steamed milk, it is easy to do. Here are just a few simple steps.
- Add your desired amount of milk (or half and half) to a mason jar or equivalent.
- Close the lid tightly and shake it until it doubles in size.
- Take off the lid and heat it in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds.
- Combine your coffee and steamed milk.
You can also check out these fun latte recipes here.
Variations include adding whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top. You can also add flavorings to the milk mixture such as vanilla, peppermint or flavored syrups. For those looking for an after-dinner drink, add Baileys Irish Creme. Yum.
What is the difference between a Cafe Mocha and a Latte?
There is not a huge difference between the two. They are essentially the same beverage with Cafe Mocha adding chocolate to the drink. Both are rich, creamy beverages with a more subtle coffee taste. Lattes are made with espresso beans but Cafe Mochas can be made with espresso beans or a medium roast Mocha Java blend. However, you will find most coffee shops will use espresso beans for their Cafe Mochas to create a richer, deeper flavor.
What is the difference between a Cafe Mocha and a Cappuccino?
Cappuccino has less milk, a stiff head of foam and no chocolate. A cappuccino boasts a much stronger espresso flavor than a latte due to having less milk and more foam than a latte. A Cappuccino is a distinctly layered even distribution of Espresso, steamed milk, and foamed milk.
Will a Mocha Java blend taste like a Cafe Mocha?
No, they are completely different. A Mocha Java blend is the oldest known coffee blend dating back a few hundred years. It was a joyous combination of beans from the Yemen port of Mocha and the Indonesian island of Java. They provide a wonderful balance between the fruity and bright taste of the beans from Africa and the rich, deep flavors of the beans from Indonesia. A Cafe Mocha is a latte drink made popular by coffee shops which includes the addition of that delectable chocolate flavor.